Martyn Family History

Scott H. Martyn
1340 N. Astor St., Unit 1608
Chicago, IL  60610

Hilly Grove Cemetery

Manitoulin, Ontario

Elias Hutchinson and Grace Mitchell Hutchinson
Elias Hutchinson, 1886 - 1962
His Wife, Grace Mitchell, 1896 - 1971
William Wallace & Mary Ann (Mitchell) McCoy McCoy
William Wallace, 1852 - 1930
His Beloved Wife, Mary Ann (Mitchell), 1853 - 1920
Charlotte & Robert Mitchell Mitchell
Charlotte M., 1861 - 1931
Robert J., 1855 - 1922
Charles Mitchell (Mitchell)
Charles
1874 - 1953
Andrew Mitchell & Elizabeth Campbell Mitchell
Andrew Mitchell, 1857 - 1935
His wife, Elizabeth Ann, 1855 - 1932
Duncan Mitchell Duncan Mitchell
Died Aug 2, 1891, Aged 47ys 7ms 10ds
Also infant son of George Mitchell
Died Feb 28, 1883
Alexander Mitchell and Mary Pyette Mitchell
Alexander C., 1885 - 1947
Phyllis, 1927 - 1966
Mary E., 1896 - 1977

Additional Information

Hilly Grove Cemetery is located on Highway 6 south in the Township of Assiginack and is the only active licensed cemetery in Assiginack Township.

John Rutledge donated a two-acre parcel of land in 1884 to establish the cemetery. A further 4 1/7 acres were granted to the cemetery from John Rutledge in 1899.

The cemetery was administered by a Board of Trustees and/or their successors as set out and named in a grant document dated October 10, 1899. The successors to the original Trustees were appointed from the Township of Assiginack. The original Trustees were John Thomas Rutledge, Alexander Leask, Alexander (Sandy) Cowan, Robert Neilson and William John Tucker.

In 1903, a 1/4-acre parcel of land adjoining the cemetery was donated by Donald McDonald to the Trustees of Hilly Grove Presbyterian Church for the establishment of a Church. The Trustees named were John Thomas Rutledge, William Viney and John McKenzie. The Church was built in the same year.

The Church was closed in the early 1960's and later renovated in the 1970's for a cemetery Chapel. A mortuary was added to the Chapel in 1973.

In the 1960's, an additional acre of land was purchased from Stewart McPhee.

Austin Beall donated land to the Cemetery Board in 1969, and in 1985 donated a further parcel of land to be used as a carriageway.

In 1987, the John Maguire family donated a parcel of land to the Cemetery Board for expansion of the cemetery in memory of George Maguire (1893 - 1986).

On April 24, 1984, the Hilly Grove Cemetery Board of Trustees passed a resolution requesting that the Corporation of the Township of Assiginack assume Hilly Grove Cemetery and all its assets. A final resolution was passed at said meeting dissolving the Board of Trustees.

Click on a thumbnail image for an enlarged view. Enlarged views will open in a new window. Close that window to return to this page.